Votes to Close 50 CPS Schools
On a wild day of protests and confrontations between security and parents, the school board voted to close 50 CPS schools on Wednesday -- 49 elementary and one high school. Four of the original 54 schools were spared. List | Map
- Trumbull closing: Protest | Hearing | Announcement
- Protests: Thousands protest | Students demonstrate
Multimedia: Audio slideshow | Video
Photo: Protesters outside CPS, demanding to be let into the meeting. (Photo/Josclynn Brandon)
Red Line Contingency Plan Passes First
The Red Line Project's Josclynn Brandon braved the real test of the Red Line South construction plan -- the first rush-hour commute from 95th Street. Her experience in a nutshell? Smooth sailing.
Graphic: Part of the Red Line South Branch.
Obama Goes Beyond Gun
During a speech at Hyde Park Academy, the president addressed social issues that contribute to gun violence. Related:
- Storify: Social media coverage of the speech
- Audio: Obama addresses families, economy, gun violence
- 47th Street: Hadiya Pendleton's funeral
Photo: White House video screengrab